Sunday, August 31, 2008

Two Stories: One Strange; One Hippie

Story One, the strange:

I walk my greyhound Winchester past the Housing Authority apartment building to a large open space. I think it is publicly owned, anyways, it is like a park and that is where W takes care of business (I don't have a yard- but I always clean up after him). We've never seen anyone else walking around in it, so I don't think I'm out of line for letting him go here.

People in the apartments feed outside cats. I don't have a problem with the outside cats. I kinda think they are a nuisance and I think it is sad that they will only have 1/3 the lifespan of an indoor cat. But I am not a cat person, so I tend to ignore them. Winchester however, does not. He stares at them. Intently. For longer than is socially acceptable to stare.

The Adoption Kennel he came from listed him as NOT cat-safe. I knew I wanted to adopt a non-cat-safe grey because so many people pass those over (because of other pets or ill-conceived notions of prey-drive = aggression). His prey-drive has little affect on our life, walks, interactions with big dogs, etc. But small dogs and cats are just too interesting to trust him around. That said, he doesn't really pull on the leash when he spots them, he just stands really still and stares.

So on our walk past the apts. he spots a cat and turns into a statue. After about 30 seconds this woman in the parking lot (a cat-feeder I suspect) asks me "What is your dog doing?"

I replied, "Looking at that cat."

Cat-feeder (CF): "Oh! Don't let him get the cats!!"

Me: "He CAN'T get the cats." Meaning, he is on a leash and I weigh twice as much as he does.

CF: "Don't let him KNOW about the cats!!"

Me: *confused and taken aback* "He SEES the cats..."

Yes, ladies and gentlemen, I have a dog who doesn't have to be told when cats are around he just...knows....spooky, huh? *rolls eyes*


For my hippie story:

I mentioned my Community Supported Agriculture share a while back. It has another perk. Potlucks! I went to a potluck hosted on the Whitton Flower and Produce Farm and met other CSA shareholders! It was fun. I brought sage and thyme biscuits (I grew the herbs myself). There is going to be another this fall.

Small world convirmation no. 1, 493
I met a couple at the potluck whose son was a year ahead of me at my university and was also in the Honor's College. His name sounded familar, and I am sure that I must have seen him around. The lady was originally from the town I teach in, so that is another connection. Nice people.

No comments: