I'm getting lazy.
Wednesday was all Drawing I classes. They are doing the same project (Dali) as Tuesday's Drawing I class. There is quite a difference between the behaviors of most of these classes and one class. MT said that separating the rowdy group doesn't really work, because it increases their noise from yelling across the room. It is easier with this group/class to isolate. They are not bad kids. They just don't do the work, even though they are capable, and that is frustrating.
I am getting much better with learning the names.
Thursday I printing participation certificates for a convention MT was going to Friday.
The oils class began planning and working on their new assignment. It was mostly individual instruction, except for a class 'pep talk' about good work habits (staying motivated and on task).
The drawing class completed a worksheet made by MT with questions about a magazine article on Dali. The article was copied and handed out, so that the mags wouldn't get ruined. The questions were to get them started thinking about his way of working and his symbolism. MT had a book on Dali that was passed around. She began with a disclaimer/warning that some of the images were "a least PG13" so those who might be offended were encouraged not to look. The book was used to show his range of imagery- more than just melting clocks.
This was the assignment written on the board:
"Drawing I Surrealism- Surrealist Perspective drawing inspired by Dali
1.) Perspective pretest
2.) Perspective lesson/interiors & exteriors
3.) 5 items that symbolize you
4.) Create the environment for ^ [5 items that symbolize you] to exist
5.) put final drawing together on large gesso paper
It was cool to watch the students as they looked at Dali. MT was showing them a painting that has 'hidden' images and many of them were struggling to see it. Then, when they finally saw it they got excited! I overheard one student naming some of the things he could see "That looks like an arm, and that looks like a door opening, and I don't know what that looks like!" It was neat to see them interact with the art like that.
AP Art History moved on to Islamic Art. These students are so bright! Islam was discussed in the lesson intro and each student was asked to contribute a fact about Islam. The responses were so well educated and knowledgeable!
Friday MT was at a convention. There was a sub, who I know and like a lot and had subbed for another art teacher long-term. MT suggested that I complete some of the observations I am required to do in other classrooms on this day. I'm not going to post on those, I have to type them up officially.
I will post on one class. The Drawing III class is starting a new unit: Art of the Streets. They are going to talk about contemporary artists who either got their start on, or are inspired by, the street's art, for example graffiti. They watched a video, which was pretty cool, about graffiti in NYC in the '90's.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment