Monday, January 29, 2007

Day Nine

I felt groggy today. I think it was a combination of sleeping in over the weekend and the lack of ventilation for the turpentine fumes from the oils class today.

MT was a little late, so I started them off. They are such a good class, and are the advanced students so I wasn't really worried about it. I'm not really good at motivating students, so if they weren't working I didn't really know what to do other than to ask them if they had an idea and what it was.

One student used a marbleizing technique and that was new to me. That is what caused the strong fumes, as the paint must be thinned down. The thinned paint is then suspended in a pan of water and can be manipulated in swirls. Then, paper is dipped onto the top layer and it picks up the swirls. The today's didn't work exactly as it is supposed to, the paint was a little too thin. We siphoned the water out of the pan into the sink so the paint and thinner wouldn't go down the drain.

At the end of the class, I showed the ppt I had put together with examples of work exemplifying a point or two of the assignment.

The Drawing class worked on the symbol worksheets. At the beginning of class MT asked questions to check their knowledge/comprehension.

I graded all the drawing classes' magazine responses.

In AP Art History, a student brought in a really cool book. It was a textbook that he had used in elementary school! It had pictures of ancient architecture, but the coolest part was the acetate layer depicting the ruin as it theoretically would have looked. I want a book like that!

No comments: