Mar. 1
It was stressed to the classes today that they would need to work steadily to get finished on time. It was mentioned they may even have to take it home to complete.
I think working can be as contagious as non-working. I think the interim grades are still affected some.
The main techniques that I have found successful in all the classes have been:
-point out the successful parts; I have found that students sometimes do something absolutely wonderful and didn't realize it, or didn't realize exactly why a section works well; if they are made aware of the fact that it works well and why they are more likely to continue or use that technique again
-encouragement has been big; I've used "This part works because (insert technique or because they've been working on it) you should keep it up!"; they are used to praise and upbeat comments from MT and I think it is important that I continue this in my own style (I'm not always as exuberant, personality-wise)
-monitoring work; they know I walk around often, sometime they don't really start until I start making my way closer to them; encouragement on work done so far usually follows with this type of student
-demonstration; I used a demonstration in small groups to teach the media, but often an individual student will have a technique issue specific to their artwork (i.e. a texture of hair, feathers, clouds, or wood grain) so I will use a small scrap of paper for individual demos
In the A2 Drawing one there is a table that I often startle the students sitting there. I think this arises from their lack of focus on their work and deep attention on each other and conversations. Also, the fact that they are slightly noisy limits their awareness of my approach. We have turned it into a joke, which I feel is a good way to interact and build rapport with this table. I've announced my approach in a joking manner from a distance, while smiling of course. I've joked about needing a trumpet fanfare to announce my presence and at other times a student noticing my approach will sing the 'Jaws' ba, ba-dumm, ba-dum theme which was pretty funny. I think they are responding well to my approach, especially since I generally am coming to get a few students back on task.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment