Sunday, March 11, 2007

Day Thirty

Feb. 28
I asked MT this question today: "When should I push them to achieve a little more, and when (i.e. in the case of burn-out) do I let them be, even if they could work to make it better?"

The reply: Give them encouragement with the suggestions: "It looks great as it is,..." and mention something measurable, like their grade "but it would help your grade if you...". Sometimes surprises happen, a student you didn't think would work more will. Know what the student is like and if they're suffering from burnout don't press the issue if they don't want to take your suggestion.

Oils:
I showed one student the Dada movement section of the art history book because he said he wanted to deny meaning in his work. I know it was probably a stretch, but I hoped that he would at least get excited about the movement if not the project. He's a smart student, and read the article and looked at some of the artwork that I had found online.

I tried to help another student with stretching a canvas, and I think in this particular situation I did more harm than help. I had never worked with pre-gessoed canvas, and so my usual technique of wetting the canvas before stretching seemed only to cause wrinkles. The canvas was too small as well.

Some of the students were talking to me about another teacher they don't particularly care for because this teacher doesn't relate well to them. I chided them, because they weren't being fair to the teacher, but it did flatter me that they commented on my ease and comfort within the classroom versus the other teacher. I didn't let that show, however, because that would be unprofessional and I don't know (and shouldn't know) all the details.

There was a student who finished the drawing and then the next project, which is a drawing for a banner contest at the airport, so he was allowed to go to another art class and work on a project there.
Two students finished the first drawing, but were reluctant to work on the next one.

Several students were absent, so I monitored a few of the slow/unmotivated students heavier today.

I am more frustrated with the students, one in particular, who exhibit skill, but lack work ethic. The student is not particularly motivated by a grade, unlike the students at the same table who are highly skilled as well. I think this student is a good candidate for the "will you do it for me" technique outlined in "Love and Logic". I feel like I have a pretty good rapport with the student, so I have been easing toward this type of request.

There are some really amazing drawings from this drawing one class. One student in particular is working very slowly, but it is because she's doing some amazing detail work and layering of washes. It is students like this that are benefiting from a long period of time spent on the one drawing.

(add more for official journal)

I have taken on a full teaching role in this class. However, I have deferred to MT on occasion when a question regarding the boundaries of the assignment arose. For example, a hard-working student requested the use of two colors where the assignment set the limit at one. The student explained how the second color would be handled, and I did not feel that it went against the spirit of the project. However, I didn't want to be unfair to the other students who were allowed only one, so I requested MT's input. She allowed the second color.

I researched visual journals/altered books during AP Art History.

No comments: